World Idli Day
As India’s largest food delivery platform, Swiggy delivers food from the widest variety of restaurants to millions of Indians across 100+ cities each month. According to insights from Swiggy’s third annual 2018 StatEATistics Report- the most comprehensive analysis of India’s food ordering habits, Idli was one of the most commonly ordered breakfast dish by Indians in 2018. Popular versions of this super healthy and staple dish included Rava idli, Ghee Podi Idli, Thatte Idli, Butter idli, Tawa Idli, Guntur Idli, Idli Vada, Sambar Idli or just a plain single serve order. Other popular breakfast dishes throughout the nation were Masala Dosa, Vada, Plain Dosa, Poori, Pongal, Poha and Upma.
According to Swiggy’s order analysis, 2018:
* Idli Capital of India, 2018: By placing the highest orders online (on Swiggy) Bangalore emerged as the Idli Capital of India in 2018.
* Hyderabadi and Chennai came in close as the 2nd and 3rd most ardent fans of the fluffy dish!
* India loves its Idli: The humble south Indian dish was also widely popular in cities like Mumbai, Gurgaon, Pune and Kolkata as well, with these cities featuring in the top ten cities to order Idli.
* Idli all-day: While Idli was most ordered for breakfast, across India, the second highest number of Idli orders were placed for dinner. Interestingly, many turned to Swiggy for Idli late in the night (post 11 pm) as well. It was also widely ordered for lunch and as an evening snack.
* Planning for Idli: Pan-India, Idli was amongst the top 5 most pre-ordered dishes (via Swiggy Scheduled)
Note: Swiggy’s order analysis is based on millions of orders Swiggy received on its platform as the largest food delivery platform in the country. The analysis is for the period between Dec 2017- Nov 2018 across 15 cities in India.