Fire guts toys godown at Washermenpet

Fire guts toys godown at Washermenpet
Fire guts toys godown at Washermenpet

Chennai: A major fire broke out at a godown at New Washermenpet causing extensive damage to goods and resulting in heavy financial losses.

Sources said, the incident took place last night at around 11.30 pm, when people nearby noticed smoke coming from the godown located in S M Chetty Street and alerted the Kasimedu police station. But in no time, the fire caught up and spread quickly.

Following this, fire and rescue personnel from as many as twelve stations including Thiruvottiyur, Ennore, Mannadi and Perambur and a good number of metro water lorries were pressed into service to put out the fire, police said.

Firemen took around 12 hours to douse the flames, police said, adding that the situation was brought under control only by 10 am this morning. The storage space belonged to one Murugesan where he stacked up China-made plastic toys and lithium batteries. Other businessmen too stored their products in this godown.

No casualties have been reported in the mishap. The reason for the fire is yet to be established, however police suspect an electric short circuit to be the cause.

Fire guts toys godown at Washermenpet