Five actors who made handlebar moustaches look HOT!
Five actors who made handlebar moustaches look HOT!
Indian cinema has been a constant trendsetter and a platform for fashion throughout the years. The audience too are constantly on the lookout for new and fascinating fashion trends sported by their favourite stars. One such recent fad is the revival of the classic 70s look that Amazon Prime Video’s Sarpatta Parambarai has managed to bring in. A period drama centered around boxing set in North Madras, the film shows the lead protagonist Arya, sporting a handlebar moustache matching his era-appropriate look that instantly transports the viewers back to that period.
The look was an instant hit, and has now sparked a renaissance of retro 1970s fashion, particularly the moustache. Let’s now take a glimpse at five actors in Indian cinema who have created solid style statements with their moustache looks -
Arya and John Kokken - Sarpatta Parambarai
Kicking off the list with the most recent and trending moustache look, Arya and John Kokken from Sarpatta Parambarai easily top the list. Arya plays Kabilan, a boxer in the film that is centred around the boxing culture in Madras in the 70s and 80s, and John Kokken plays Vembuli, his archnemesis.
Both big names from their respective clans and known for their brute strength and aggression, their physique and looks were set in a way that enhances their prowess and masculinity. For this, both Kabilan and Vembuli are seen sporting equally big and thick moustaches that match their style and outfits. The look, right from the choice of outfits to the hairstyle was just perfectly curated, and the moustache is the icing on the cake, as it symbolically represents the strength and masculinity of the two characters in the film.
2. Suriya - Singam Film Universe
All 3 movies in the Singam cinematic universe have actor Suriya sport a never-seen-before type of moustache to accentuate his character as a police officer in the film. The moustache look was so popular that we saw so many people attempt to recreate the same around the time of its release. DSP Duraisingam, his demeanour and the iconic moustache are extremely popular and fashionable to this day.
3. Ranveer Singh - Bajirao Mastani
Ranveer’s association with Sanjay Leela Bhansali in several historic movies has resulted in him sporting many unique looks from different eras. One such iconic look comes from his character as King Bajirao in Bajirao Mastani, flaunting a small, twirly handlebar moustache to match his overall royal look and demeanour. He can also be seen in a different yet memorable moustache look in the movie Ram Leela. After all, nobody needs to teach Ranveer how to rock any look!
4. Rajinikanth - Petta
This one needs absolutely no explanation. The man himself is a style statement, and Thalaivar’s look as Petta Velan in the movie Petta is one such revelation. One among the 2 looks that the actor sports in the movie, the huge and neatly shaped moustache screams machismo, class and all things stylish. This iconic look is also testament to the fact that there is no look that the actor cannot pull off effortlessly!
5. Shabeer Kallarackal - Sarpatta Parambarai
Shabeer Kallarackal’s portrayal of Dancing Rose in Sarpatta Parambarai was so memorable, that fans are now demanding for a spinoff movie with the character. The actor not only won over fans with his fluid movies, agile footwork and remarkable sportsmanship, it was also the overall look that he sported in the film that made his character so memorable.
Though he does not flaunt a moustache as big as Arya or John Kokken in the movie, the look and the ‘stache are still very 70’s appropriate, and reflects his character as a master boxer, but a calm and level-headed person otherwise.
Tune in to Amazon Prime Video to watch Sarpatta and Idiyappa clans on their path to redemption, and to witness the battle of prowess, egos and big moustaches!
ABOUT AMAZON PRIME VIDEO
Prime Video is a premium streaming service that offers Prime members a collection of award-winning Amazon Original series, thousands of movies and TV shows — all with the ease of finding what they love to watch in one place. Find out more at PrimeVideo.com.
● Included with Prime Video: Sarpatta Parambarai joins thousands of TV shows and movies from Hollywood and Bollywood, including Indian produced Amazon Original series such as Four More Shots Please!, The Family Man, Mirzapur, Inside Edge and Made In Heaven, and award-winning and critically acclaimed global Amazon Original series including Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, The Boys, Hunters, Fleabag, Coming 2 America, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm and The Marvellous Mrs. Maisel available for unlimited streaming as part of a Prime membership. Prime Video includes titles available in Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, Punjabi and Bengali.
● Instant Access: Members can watch anywhere, anytime on the Prime Video app for smart TVs, mobile devices, Fire TV, Fire TV stick, Fire tablets, Apple TV and multiple gaming devices. Prime Video is also available to consumers through Airtel and Vodafone pre-paid and post-paid subscription plans. In the Prime Video app, Prime members can download episodes on their mobile devices and tablets and watch anywhere offline at no additional cost.
● Enhanced experiences: Make the most of every viewing with 4K Ultra HD- and High Dynamic Range (HDR)-compatible content. Go behind the scenes of your favourite movies and TV shows with exclusive X-Ray access, powered by IMDb. Save it for later with select mobile downloads for offline viewing.
● Included with Prime: Prime Video is available in India at no extra cost with Prime membership for just ₹999 annually.
SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLES: