2 persons were electrocuted while digging Metrowater pit
CHENNAI: Two people were electrocuted and one was injured when the crowbar they were using to dig a pit came in contact with a live underground cable near Palavakkam on Monday night. Police arrested two, including a Metrowater employee, on charges of causing death due to negligence.
Police said 52-year-old Sampath of Gandhi Nagar, Palavakkam approached Chandran, a Metrowater staff, for a water connection. The latter hired three people from Maniammai Street in Pallavakkam - Manohar, 45, his brother-in-law Shankar, 35, and Parthiban, 42 -- to provide the line.
On Monday night, Manohar and Parthiban went down a pit and started digging while Shankar stood outside directing them. When the duo began to dig the pit further, the crowbar touched the live cable. In the ensuing shock, the three were thrown away. While Manohar and Parthiban died on the spot, Shankar sustained severe injuries. He was taken to Government Royapettah Hospital for treatment.